Father's day is Sunday and Valerie Gordon of Valerie's Confections is here with some unique dessert ideas for dad...
1. Beer float
2. Scotch ganache filled cookies
3. Handmade Malt Scotch Truffles (see below for recipe)
The "Valerie at the Market" line can be purchased at the Santa Monica Farmers Market on Saturdays, or the Sunday Farmers Market in Hollywood.
Check out her Confectionary for tasty treats for your Father's Day:
3360 West First Street
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Single Malt Scotch Truffles
Yields: Approximately 30
10 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (61-63 percent cacao), chopped
7 ounces of heavy cream
1.5 ounces of unsalted butter (Plugrasuggested), at room temperature
2 ounces of single malt Scotch
1 teaspoon of salt
6 ounces of Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
1. In a small heavy bottomed pan, heat the cream over high heat until it just beings to boil.
2. Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Incorporate the butter.
3. Refrigerate ganache until firm, at least one hour.
4. Sift the cocoa powder into a large bowl. Using a melon baller or small scooper, form small balls of ganache and drop them into the cocoa powder, coating them thoroughly.
5. Refrigerate the truffles until ready to gift or serve.
You can follow Style File on Twitter: @GDLAStyleFile