Two children and their mom will spend thanksgiving in the hospital after a fire broke out at their Chandler home.
Firefighters say the blaze wasn't very large but produced a lot of smoke.
The mother of the 5 and 9-year-old boys drove the family to the hospital herself.
"My uncle and the neighbor heard her screaming going down the sidewalk," says Kayla Escobar, who lives near by Frye and Arizona Avenue.
A neighbor called 911 around 5 a.m. The family was already gone when crews arrived.
"It was actually very scary to wake up to that," Escobar says.
It appears the fire started outside, at the back of the home, then spread inside causing a lot of smoke damage.
"It is extensive. The fire I would say is limited, but the smoke damage is incredible, it is throughout the entire house," says Chandler Fire Battalion Chief Brad Miller.
The mother drove the family to a hospital in Chandler, but their injuries from inhaling all that smoke were too severe.
All 3 family members had to be flown to the Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center. At first, the 5-year-old was in critical condition. Now we have learned he is in stable condition. So is the rest of the family.
A fire investigator was at the home collecting evidence. It's not clear how the fire was caused it or if the family had working smoke detectors.
"Check those smoke detectors. If you have good acting smoke detectors, they will alert you earlier before it gets this bad and hopefully with no injuries," says Miller.