Michigan AG's office to prosecute roadway shooting suspect - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Michigan AG's office to prosecute roadway shooting suspect

Posted: Updated:

DETROIT (AP) -- The state attorney general's office will prosecute a man suspected in a shooting spree that targeted motorists in four Michigan counties last month and could bring additional charges, Attorney General Bill Schuette said Tuesday.

The AG's office said it had agreed to take over the cases at the request of prosecutors in Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties.

Raulie Casteel, of Wixom, currently faces charges in Livingston and Oakland counties.

Schuette's office will lead the prosecution of the 43-year-old unemployed geologist in the Livingston case. The Oakland County prosecutor's office will continue to handle the 60 counts Casteel faces in connection with shootings in Wixom and Commerce Township. Casteel could be sentenced to up to life in prison if convicted of any of the eight attempted murder counts he faces in Oakland County, where many of the two-dozen shootings occurred.

Casteel first was charged in Livingston County, where he faces assault with a dangerous weapon and five other gun-related counts. Those charges stem from an Oct. 18 shooting on Interstate 96 in Howell Township, about 45 miles northwest of Detroit.

The attorney general's office said its criminal division will review evidence collected by a multi-jurisdictional task force and decide whether to bring charges related to shootings in Ingham and Shiawassee counties.

"I believe it is beneficial for the prosecution of this case and for the convenience of the witnesses to have a single source of prosecution," Livingston County Prosecutor David Morse said in a statement released by the attorney general's office. "It will provide a consistent approach to the case that is not possible with multiple jurisdictions handling multiple cases."

The shootings, which took place along a 100-mile freeway corridor between Oct. 16 and Oct. 27, kept area communities on edge.

Most of the shootings targeted cars near I-96, though authorities said one occurred while a man was taking out his trash. Only one person was hit, a man who was shot in the buttocks.

Ten shootings were in Wixom, where Casteel lived with his wife, daughter and in-laws.

Defense attorneys say he's a married, college-educated, stay-at-home dad with no criminal history.

On professional websites, Casteel described himself as a geologist and soil scientist with experience in environmental cleanup. He's a Michigan native who lived in Taylorsville, Ky., before returning to his home state earlier this year.

Judges in Novi and Howell on Nov. 14 ordered Casteel to undergo tests to determine whether he is competent to stand trial.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Attorney wants investigation of city clerk over Arab-American voter suppression

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:43 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:43:20 GMT
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
    It is the tale of two cities. one paints a picture of a meticulous Dearborn Heights city clerk, following the law and fighting for a fair election. The other a story of abuse of power, mishandled ballots and voter suppression.Fatima Abdrabboh is an attorney and Michigan's director of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee the largest chapter in the country. She is calling for a full-scale investigation into claims that Walter Prusiewicz mishandled ballots from Arab-American voters fo...
  • Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Warren grandparents upset after grandchildren see racist graffiti at park

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:15 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:15:40 GMT
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
    Tuesday afternoon Bruce and Lubertha Callaway took their grandchildren to Shaw Park in Warren when they saw something they couldn't believe.
  • 3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    3-year-old shocked, downed power lines electrify fence

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:51:19 GMT
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
    A 3-year-old boy is in the hospital after getting shocked by an electrical charge.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices