NJ 6-day black bear hunt underway - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

NJ 6-day black bear hunt underway

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

New Jersey's yearly black bear hunt is underway.

The six-day hunt starts began before dawn Monday. It's meant to control the state's black bear population, now estimated at about 2,900.

State environmental officials say New Jersey's two-year-old black bear management program, which includes the hunt, trash management and education, has reduced the bear population and the number of bear-human interactions.

The number of bears has been reduced by about 500. Sightings are down by one-third and dangerous bear-related incidents are down 43 percent.

More than 6,500 bear hunting permits have been issued. DEP biologists predict hunt results similar to last year, when more than 9,000 permits were issued and 469 bears were harvested.

Hunting is allowed north of Interstate 78 and west of Interstate 287.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Cops: Lacey committeeman punches another official in face at Gille Park

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:55:37 GMT
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
    Lacey police gave Township Committeeman Mark Dykoff a summons for striking fellow Township Committeeman David Most at a gathering near the pavilion at Gille Park on Sunday, Police Chief David A. Paprota said.Sgt. Paul J. Sullivan and Patrolman Daniel Ricciardella responded to a report of an assault at 1:13 p.m. on Sept. 14 at the park, the chief said.
  • Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Man charged in quadruple homicide, former Brick resident's murders

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:53 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:53:26 GMT
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
    The man Florida authorities singled out as a suspect in a quadruple homicide involving three former Brick, N.J. and Lehigh Valley residents now faces four first-degree murder charges. Adam Matos was charged in the deaths of his ex-girlfriend, her parents and her boyfriend, late Monday afternoon.
  • NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    NJSIAA confirms investigation of 'racist' banana incident at high school football game

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 1:10 PM EDT2014-09-16 17:10:03 GMT
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
    Assistant Superintendent of North Plainfield Schools Dr. Robert Rich confirmed that an incident of alleged racism occurred prior to the high school football game last Friday between Summit and North Plainfield. Rich also confirmed that there are internal and external investigations into the allegations.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices