Woman charged with murder for subway shoving death - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Woman charged with murder for subway shoving death

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Police say Erica Menendez killed a complete stranger by pushing him in front of an oncoming train all because of the color of his skin.

Authorities charged 31-year-old Erika Menendez of Rego Park, Queens with Second Degree murder as a Hate Crime. Police say that Menendez admitted to shoving the victim, Sunando Sen an immigrant from India, because she said she "hates Hindus and Muslims." 

According to the Queens District Attorney's office, Menendez told authorities, "I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been beating them up." 

Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown issued a statement:

"The defendant is accused of committing what is every subway commuter's worst nightmare - being suddenly and senselessly pushed into the path of an oncoming train. The victim was allegedly shoved from behind and had no chance to defend himself. Beyond that, the hateful remarks allegedly made by the defendant and which precipitated the defendant's actions can never be tolerated by a civilized society." 

"To hear that she's your neighbor, that's shocking, very shocking," said one man. 

"It's asinine, stupid, ridiculous, I'm just glad they caught her," added another. 

That was the reaction by most of Menendez's Rego Park neighbors.

The victim's friends are relieved she is in custody but are having difficulty coping with their loss.     

Just as friends of the victim, Sunando Sen were meeting to plan his funeral; police announced they have a woman in custody believed to be responsible for pushing him to his death on the subway tracks. 

"I feel better that the person is not on the street anymore," said Ashim Dey, Victim's Friend. 

Relief Saturday from the close friends of Sen. He was waiting for the No. 7 train at the 40th Street-Lowery Station Thursday night when authorities say Menendez shoved him onto the tracks as the train approached. The suspect took off running. 

Sen was killed instantly. 

Saturday morning, police found the woman believed to be responsible after receiving a 911 tip. They picked her up in Brooklyn and say she made statements implicating herself in the crime. 

Sanjeeb Das, Sen's friend, was asked how hard this tragedy has been. "Yes, it's been very hard, because he's my friend -- my brother." 

Das was Sen's closest friend and co-owned a Manhattan print shop with him. He is still trying to make sense of how something like this could have happened. 

"Everybody liked him," said Das. "He never ever fought anybody, if you say bad things he never answered." 

Das says Sen emigrated from India more than 20 years ago to study economics. 

The pair just brought the printing business earlier this year. Sen was just 46 years old and never married or had children. He lived with roommates in Elmhurst where neighbors say he kept to himself. 

"I never imagined something like this could happen to a guy like him, he was a really nice and quiet guy," said Raymond Roy, a neighbor. 

Sen's funeral will be held at the Coppolo Migliore funeral home in Corona on Sunday. He'll be laid to rest Monday.

Menendez is presently awaiting arraignment in Queens Criminal Court on a criminal complaint charging her with second-degree murder as a hate crime. If convicted, she faces a maximum of 25 years to life in prison.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-07-22 16:52:11 GMT
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
    Police responded to the Brooklyn Bridge on Tuesday for a major security breach at one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the span connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. It is not clear who raised the flags that had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes or why.  The American flags that are normally up at the bridge were removed.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices