In Search of Genius seeks candidates who are passionate about teaching and are willing to do whatever it takes to make science a fun, exciting, and engaging experience!
In Search of Genius (ISOG) is a an innovative science and mentoring program that brings elementary children in underserved areas the best in hands-on, fun, inquiry-based science projects with a unique role modeling/mentoring and program currency reward overlay. Our program is having an incredible positive impact on the children and families we serve, including significantly increasing science knowledge, motivation, attendance and self-esteem among our students. We are receiving widespread press and recognition in the community and are currently serving over 1,500 children in the Chicagoland area.
Check out our website at www.insearchofgenius.org
Teach ISOG's hands-on science curriculum aligned to Core Science Standards
Work during the school day to teach 90 minute sessions at elementary schools
Utilize our "Smart Money" positive reinforcement system--a unique program currency we created as a motivational technique and distribute to students each week for showing up, bringing a positive attitude, demonstrating leadership, and exhibiting extraordinary genius.
Administer science knowledge and attitude surveys to students as part of program evaluation
Ensure program protocols are being followed in each school
1. Flexibility and willingness to work with parents, administrators, and colleagues
2. An engaging personality that will get kids excited about the fun activities, but also about the science content behind the activities
3. A passion for helping students in underserved areas
4. The patience and presence required to control a classroom, while allowing students to explore and discover.
5. Desire to make a difference in the world
Preferred Qualifications for Science Teacher
1. 1-2 years' Teaching Experience
2. Experience teaching science at the 3rd-5th grade level
3. IL Teaching Certification
4. Previous experience working with low-income students
We currently have sessions in the North Chicago Area on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays during the school day. No prior criminal record. All candidates must have reliable transportation in order to travel between schools in the area.