Detroit man found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Detroit man found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:

By Alexis Wiley
Fox 2 News


DETROIT (WJBK) -- What a mother discovered inside her home Wednesday morning should serve as a reminder to all of us.  She left the house on Detroit's west side Tuesday evening and returned to find her 54-year-old son dead in his bed, as well as her two dogs.  The killer?  Carbon monoxide.

The home had an oil burning furnace, something neighbors say is not unusual in older homes.  Apparently the furnace was not ventilating properly and carbon monoxide filled the house.

Investigators say the family never knew because they did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

"I couldn't believe it.  I was very, very sadden," says neighbor Kirk Wilson.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is completely preventable if you have a working carbon monoxide detector.  You also need to make sure to check your furnace every single year regardless of its age.

Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices