Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home

Posted: Updated:

WAYNESBORO, Ga. (AP) - Authorities say a 65-year-old man is dead after fire spread through an assisted living home in eastern Georgia.

Insurance and Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says the blaze started at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday at the Twin Oaks Assisted Living Home in Waynesboro. One man inside the home, Charles Atkins, was killed.

Investigators say the home was destroyed but six other people inside escaped the flames without injury.

The cause hasn't been determined. But Hudgens' office says investigators are looking at the possibility that the fire was ignited by a cigarette that wasn't extinguished properly.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices