Man who could lose Meals on Wheels feels policy should change - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Man who could lose Meals on Wheels feels policy should change

Posted: Updated:
Herbert Alford  (Credit: Fox 2 News) Herbert Alford (Credit: Fox 2 News)
DETROIT (WJBK) -

His pain is so severe.  His body is betraying him.  Herbert Alford's nimble fingers once painted and played the piano.  Now his hands tremble so badly he can barely use them.

At 85 years old, he's battling Parkinson's and spinal stenosis.  Alford can barely walk.  Instead he sits and sleeps in a chair with his TV, his mail and his meals from Meals on Wheels surrounding him.

"I find it difficult even to walk to the kitchen to warm it up.  Sometimes I eat [it] cold.  I don't mind eating [it] cold.  I've gotten used to it," said Alford.

He relies on Meals on Wheels for his food.  They provide five frozen meals for the week and bread and juice.  But he's worried his food won't be delivered any more.

"I'm all bent over.  I can't fix food, and yet they're threatening to discontinue it," Alford said.

He showed us the letter telling him his meals are over.

"At this time your home delivered meals will be discontinued," it read in part.  All because he won't agree to an assessment every six months.  He says he's elderly, homebound and obviously in need.  It's not like he's getting any younger.

"I said no I can't be bothered walking to the door to answer the same questions over," said Alford.  "I can't do for myself.  What more information do they need?"

Alford was a nurse for 47 years.  He's still sharp and maybe even a bit stubborn, but he refuses to give Meals on Wheels or anybody else any medical or financial information.

I contacted Meals on Wheels.  They told me they don't want to cut Alford off.  The problem is it's a federal requirement that they reassess all of their clients every six months to make sure they're still qualified.

Meals on Wheels is looking into Alford's case to make sure he still receives his food.

"They're wasting money by sending someone every so often to ask the same questions," Alford said.  "I'm going to fight for the senior people."

"I think that what they need to do is look over their policies and draw up a new policy that fits everybody not just me," he added.

• Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

Charges to be determined after teen dies in car crash

Monday, July 28 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:59:07 GMT
    Seven teenagers were on their way back from a bonfire late Friday night. A 16-year-old girl was behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition with her mom also in the car.

Fire from lightning strike devastates Roseville church

Monday, July 28 2014 7:21 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:21:36 GMT
    A raging fire happens in Roseville and of all places to be struck by lightning - the steeple of the New Life Church of God in Christ.Pastor Darrell Moore and his family are devastated."I got here and I found out I really didn't have a church anymore, " he said. Moore was attending a Sunday evening service at another church, when a member of new life called him repeatedly. When he finally answered, it was bad news."The fire department was here, there was water everywhere," said Mary Moore, mot...

How to handle a dog attack

Friday, July 25 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:48:45 GMT
    After a 46-year-old jogger was killed in a dog attack, a local expert gives advise on what to do if you're attacked by a dog.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Grosse Pointe Park's new farmer's market seen by some as a barrier to Detroit

Monday, July 28 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:25:26 GMT
    Some Detroiters are calling for a boycott of Grosse Pointe Park after the city built a farmer's market that they believe cuts off access to and from Detroit.

Detroit teen recovering after basketball accident at park

Monday, July 28 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:51:50 GMT
    A Detroit teen is seriously hurt after an accident at a Detroit park. He has a long road to recovery ahead, but has a strong support system that isn't giving up hope.

Man shot, killed during carjacking on Detroit's west side

Monday, July 28 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:37:16 GMT
    A man was shot to death in an attempted carjacking on Detroit's west side, according to police.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices