Detroit City Council meets despite latest lawsuit - Los Angeles Local News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Detroit City Council meets despite latest lawsuit

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Detroit City Council plans to keep meeting despite a lawsuit saying that would violate Michigan's new emergency manager law.

Activist Robert Davis seeks an injunction with Monday's lawsuit. Davis says under the new emergency manager law, council cannot meet unless they get written approval from Kevyn Orr, Detroit's state-appointed emergency manager.

Bill Knowling, Orr's spokesman, said Tuesday that Orr would allow council to meet but any voting actions would need his approval.

"Any action they take as a body of the city council would require the approval of the emergency manager," said Knowling. "That would mean if they voted on a budget, the emergency manager would have to approve that budget."

Orr also announced last week he would restore the salaries of the mayor and council.

Meanwhile, the city is allowing residents to track Orr's moves.  Every time he issues an order, it will be posted on the City of Detroit's website -- www.detroitmi.gov.  Just click on the "Emergency Manager" tab in the upper right hand corner.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Boyfriend, girlfriend charged after 4 killed in I-94 crash

    Boyfriend, girlfriend charged after 4 killed in I-94 crash

    Friday, April 18 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:03:50 GMT
    Authorities have filed multiple murder charges against a woman and her boyfriend whose argument led to a high speed chase and an expressway crash that killed four people in Detroit on Sept. 22, 2013.
    Authorities have filed multiple murder charges against a woman and her boyfriend whose argument led to a high speed chase and an expressway crash that killed four people in Detroit on Sept. 22, 2013.
  • Recovering quadriplegic returns to the stage

    Recovering quadriplegic returns to the stage

    Friday, April 18 2014 4:30 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:30:51 GMT
    A 28-year-old man from Clarkston is told he'll never walk again after a tragic accident, but with modern medicine and raw determination he's working to prove doctors wrong.fb
    A 28-year-old man from Clarkston is told he'll never walk again after a tragic accident, but with modern medicine and raw determination he's working to prove doctors wrong.fb
  • Ficano to seek fourth term as Wayne Co. Executive

    Ficano to seek fourth term as Wayne Co. Executive

    Friday, April 18 2014 12:12 PM EDT2014-04-18 16:12:33 GMT
    Embattled Wayne Co. Executive Robert Ficano will seek a fourth term. In a release, Ficano says he will kick off his re-election campaign during a news conference on April 21.
    Embattled Wayne Co. Executive Robert Ficano will seek a fourth term. In a release, Ficano says he will kick off his re-election campaign during a news conference on April 21.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices