(FOX 11) It was supposed to be a routine extraction of two wisdom teeth for 25-year-old Marek Lapinski. It was anything but.
The San Diego man died after undergoing the procedure on March 21 by Dr. Steven Paul in Temecula.
"The complications began mid-surgery when Marek began to cough. In response, medical staff administered propofol, causing the patient to go into cardiac arrest," the LAist reports. "Marek was rushed to the hospital, where he died. A piece of gauze was found in his airway."
Even before the surgery, Lapinski, the vice president of Tactical 3D Dimensions in San Diego, expressed worries.
"He was so scared to get this done," his sister Natalie Lapinski told FOX5. "That morning, he texted me and said 'I'm going in. I'll call you when I'm out.' I never heard from him again."
April Lapinski, Marek's mother, told the station that she was told by the hospital "they weren't sure if this was all caused from him choking on a piece of gauze. Somebody was not paying attention at some point."
An autopsy is pending -- and Marek's family may take legal action.