Cubs prospect banned 5 games for wielding bat - Los Angeles Local News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Cubs prospect banned 5 games for wielding bat

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Associated Press) -

Cubs prospect Jorge Soler has been suspended five games for charging the visiting team's dugout during a Florida State League game with a bat.

Soler was suspended Thursday.

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein says the organization supports Soler but condemns his actions Wednesday night. Epstein says the Cubs will work to help Soler "better channel his emotions on the field."

Playing for Class-A Daytona, Soler grabbed a bat from his dugout and approached the dugout of the Clearwater Threshers during the seventh inning. Epstein said he was told there was some back and forth with another player, which included comments about Soler's family. Soler was restrained before he reached the dugout.

The 21-year-old Cuban signed a nine-year, $30 million contract with the Cubs last year and is in his first full professional season in the United States.

Follow Us!

Share Your Sports Photos & Video

Submit Your Sports Photos
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices