Allee Willis, Tyree Guyton meet over lunch at a Detroit junkyard - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Allee Willis, Tyree Guyton meet over lunch at a Detroit junkyard

Posted: Updated:
Allee Willis, Tyre Guyton and friends eat lunch at a junkyard in Detroit. Allee Willis, Tyre Guyton and friends eat lunch at a junkyard in Detroit.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

He is an artist known for The Heidelberg Project, and she wrote some of the biggest dance and soundtrack hits of all time.  Tuesday, they met in an unlikely place.

As a light rain began to fall on a junkyard on Detroit's east side, waiters served a catered lunch to artist Tyree Guyton, song writer Allee Willis and friends.

"We have been talking about a collaborative project, helping her to come back here to the city and wanting to do something here, and I'm excited," Guyton said.

It was a "funk-tion in the junk-tion," a meeting of creative minds.

"It just blows my mind to come here [the junkyard].  I find peace here and pieces," Guyton said.

Pieces of scrap that will become art.  Meanwhile, the colorful Willis wrote "September" and "Boogie Wonderland" for Earth, Wind and Fire and "Neutron Dance" for the Pointer Sisters.

"I was born in Detroit.  I was raised in Detroit.  I absolutely love Detroit.  I've lived in Los Angeles 30 years, but my love has never died for the city," she said.

As such, Willis has an Indiegogo campaign going and a song called "The D."

"I'm coming back in September to record with, I hope, hundreds of thousands of Detroiters.  I would love everyone in the city on this record," she said.

• Jason CarrJason CarrMore>>

Detroit's smallest deli is big in character

Wednesday, July 16 2014 6:13 PM EDT2014-07-16 22:13:00 GMT
    At 212 E. Grand River stands a storefront that is no more than 10 feet wide, but what it lacks in size it makes up for with its sandwiches.

Tiger Stadium site redevelopment plans move ahead

Tuesday, July 15 2014 8:23 PM EDT2014-07-16 00:23:08 GMT
    Right now the baseball diamond at the old Tiger Stadium is being used by little leaguers and even some vintage baseball teams. But that could change, even before this season is over.

Thomas Video and DVD store in Royal Oak soon to close

Tuesday, July 8 2014 9:28 PM EDT2014-07-09 01:28:02 GMT
    This is the kind of place film director Quentin Tarantino might have worked had he grown up in metro Detroit.  He did visit the Thomas Video and DVD store in Royal Oak once.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Three arrested after military reservist killed during carjacking

Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:01 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:01:39 GMT
    A third suspect is under arrest in the carjacking and murder of a young man outside the Superland Market at Schoolcraft Road and Rutland Street Monday night.

Duggan bringing big changes to Detroit water department, starting with shutoffs

Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:56:25 GMT
    Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan is promising big changes at the water department, starting with the controversial shutoffs."Certainly it has hurt the reputation of the city," Duggan said. "I have been anxious to do something about it for awhile and I am just glad I have a chance to do it,"Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr handed over the water department to the mayor and City Council TuesdayDuggan says better publicizing assitance programs is the biggest priority."I still don't think the people in need h...

Royal Oak fire crew forced to watch house burn waiting for DTE

Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:47 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:47:18 GMT
    Roberta Erxleben has lived in her house for 30 years and says her garage would not have been destroyed Sunday had DTE responded to another electric fire sooner.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices