New York Aquarium partly reopens May 25 - Los Angeles Local News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Superstorm Sandy

New York Aquarium partly reopens May 25

Posted: Updated:
A sea lion in Sea Cliffs. (Photo by Julie Larsen Maher | WCS) A sea lion in Sea Cliffs. (Photo by Julie Larsen Maher | WCS)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Coney Island's famed New York Aquarium, devastated by Superstorm Sandy, will partially reopen Saturday, May 25, 2013.

The Wildlife Conservation Society on Friday showed members of the media parts of the repaired aquarium. Glover's Reef; exhibits in Conservation Hall; outdoor habitats of Sea Cliffs, the walrus, sea lions, harbor seals, sea otters, and penguins live; and a remodeled Aquatheater will reopen.

"The partial reopening of the WCS New York Aquarium in Coney Island will help one of our city's hardest-hit areas continue its recovery from Hurricane Sandy," WCS President Cristian Samper said in a statement. "The aquarium serves as a critical economic driver in Brooklyn and inspires thousands of school-age children across New York City to better appreciate our oceans around the world."

Education programs have resumed on a limited basis, including the teen docent program, summer camp for students, and training for educators, the WCS said.

When Superstorm Sandy slammed New York on October 29, 2012, the historic storm surge rushed passed the Coney Island boardwalk and flooded all buildings at the 14-acre aquarium.

The flooding significantly damaged the heating, air conditioning, electrical power and distribution equipment, and aquatic life support systems, the WCS said.

Most of the aquarium's creatures survived, but some fish and invertebrates housed in a few tanks died.

This year, adult admission is $9.95, down from last year's $14.95.

http://www.nyaquarium.com/sandy/

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • MTA, union reach deal for transit workers

    MTA, union reach deal for transit workers

    Thursday, April 17 2014 5:09 PM EDT2014-04-17 21:09:38 GMT
    Transit officials and the union representing about 34,000 city subway and bus workers reached a tentative contract deal that would include raises and new benefits but require higher health insurance payments, both sides and Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.
    Transit officials and the union representing about 34,000 city subway and bus workers reached a tentative contract deal that would include raises and new benefits but require higher health insurance payments, both sides and Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday.
  • Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Memo urges cops to use discretion for jaywalking summonses

    Thursday, April 17 2014 1:57 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:57:48 GMT
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
    A memo from NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton instructs police officers to use discretion when ticketing elderly and disabled pedestrians for jaywalking. This comes after an 84-year-old jaywalker was injured during his arrest on the Upper West Side in January. The memo which was was dated April 15 reads in part:  "Use discretion when elderly or handicapped persons are observed jaywalking.... If pedestrian actions are not causing a safety risk... warn and admonish the violator instead."
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices