Three-Year-Old Girl Dies After Dental Procedure - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Three-Year-Old Girl Dies After Dental Procedure

Posted: Updated:

A young Hawaiian girl is dead after suffering massive brain damage after undergoing a dental procedure last month.

Three-year old Finley Boyle died Friday night after falling into a coma nearly a month earlier.

Her mother, Ashley Boyle, has since filed a lawsuit against Island Dentistry, alleging negligence and dangerous conduct in sedating the child.

The plaintiffs say the child was given high doses of Demerol, hydroxyzine and chloral hydrate, as well as nitrous oxide.

According to the lawsuit, on December 3, Boyle took Finley to Island Dentistry to get four root canals done.

A technician gave Finley five different drugs and she then went into cardiac arrest, her mother says nobody was even there to administer CPR.

"Had it been initiated at the correct time she'd be walking out of the hospital right now," Boyle said.

Boyle's attorney says records show Finley wasn't monitored while she was sedated.

Instead of checking her oxygen levels every five minutes, it wasn't done for 26 minutes which is why the brain damage was so severe.

Island Dentistry in Kailua, HI is now closed permanently. The business's telephone line has been disconnected. The dentist's office has yet to comment on the incident.

Powered by WorldNow

1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices