Ex-Christie appointee Wildstein refuses to answer questions - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Bridge scandal

Ex-Christie appointee Wildstein refuses to answer questions

Posted: Updated:
David Wildstein refused to answer questions before a New Jersey Assembly panel, January 9, 2014. David Wildstein refused to answer questions before a New Jersey Assembly panel, January 9, 2014.

GEOFF MULVIHILL | AP

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A former appointee of Gov. Chris Christie was found by lawmakers to be in contempt Thursday after he refused to answer questions from a legislative committee looking into a scandal involving punitive traffic lane closures.

David Wildstein repeatedly asserted his right to remain silent on the advice of his lawyer. He had fought the order to appear before a committee, but a state judge earlier in the day said it was proper that he be subpoenaed to appear.

Still, committee members went on asking him questions for an hour, almost all of them relating to emails and text messages Wildstein previously provided the committee.

The legislative panel is investigating why the lanes were suddenly closed in September, causing traffic gridlock in Fort Lee. Other officials have said Wildstein ordered the closures. Emails and text messages revealed Wednesday that Christie's aides may have been out to punish the town's mayor for not endorsing the governor.

Assembly Transportation Committee chairman John Wisniewski, a Democrat, said the contempt matter could be followed up by a prosecutor. The penalty would be up to 18 months in prison, but people convicted of such offenses generally are not jailed.

His lawyer, Alan Zegas, told lawmakers he was invoking his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent out of fear of being prosecuted.

"He has the right to not give answer by a prosecutor who were to charge him," Zegas said, "even if he were to charge him wrongly."

One lawmaker, Democrat Thomas Giblin, pleaded unsuccessfully for Wildstein to speak, telling him he shouldn't become "a fall guy."

Wildstein resigned last month as Christie's No. 2 appointee at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. He knew Christie in high school, but Christie denies the two had a close, personal relationship.

Wisniewski said his committee would issue subpoenas to other officials involved, including Bridget Anne Kelly, a gubernatorial aide who was fired Thursday, and Bill Stepien, who was ousted as chairman of the state Republican organization.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
  • Jets eliminating paper season tickets

    Jets eliminating paper season tickets

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 2:04 PM EDT2014-07-22 18:04:58 GMT
    The New York Jets are doing away with paper tickets for season ticket holders, while offering those fans a rewards plan for showing up regularly and behaving properly.
    The New York Jets are doing away with paper tickets for season ticket holders, while offering those fans a rewards plan for showing up regularly and behaving properly.
  • 2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    2 upper level GWB east lanes closed for repairs

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 1:19 PM EDT2014-07-22 17:19:59 GMT
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
    Workers have closed two upper level eastbound lanes on the George Washington Bridge for emergency repairs. The closures affect New York City bound motorists. Officials expect the lanes will remain closed until 3 p.m. Tuesday. Motorists heading into New York City should use the lower level or consider alternate Hudson River crossings.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices