Russian Anti-Terrorism Agency Studies Olympic Threat Video - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Russian Anti-Terrorism Agency Studies Olympic Threat Video

Posted: Updated:
Moscow, Russia -

(FOX 11 / AP) Russia's counter-terrorism agency says it is studying a video posted by an Islamic militant group asserting responsibility for suicide bombings last month that killed 34 people in Volgograd and threatening to strike the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

The video was posted online Sunday by a militant group in Dagestan, a predominantly Muslim republic in Russia's North Caucasus.

Two Russian-speaking men featured in the video are identified as members of Ansar al-Sunna, the name of a militant group operating in Iraq. It was unclear whether they had received funding or training from the group or only adopted its name.

There was no confirmation the men were the Volgograd suicide bombers as the video claims.

The National Anti-Terrorism Committee said Monday it was studying the video and would have no immediate comment.

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Businesses Troubled Over Garcetti's Proposal To Raise The Minimum Wage

    Businesses Troubled Over Garcetti's Proposal To Raise The Minimum Wage

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:05:20 GMT
    Los Angeles business leaders said today they were troubled by a proposal being shopped by Mayor Eric Garcetti that would raise the minimum wage in Los Angeles to as much as $13.50 an hour by 2017.
    Los Angeles business leaders said today they were troubled by a proposal being shopped by Mayor Eric Garcetti that would raise the minimum wage in Los Angeles to as much as $13.50 an hour by 2017.
  • Source: American Islamic Militant Said Killed In Syria

    Source: American Islamic Militant Said Killed In Syria

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:42 AM EDT2014-08-27 14:42:03 GMT
    An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
    An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S. official said Tuesday.
  • Israel, Hamas Accept Gaza War Cease-Fire

    Israel, Hamas Accept Gaza War Cease-Fire

    Tuesday, August 26 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-26 16:57:15 GMT
    Israel and Hamas announced Tuesday that they agreed to an open-ended cease-fire in the Gaza war after seven weeks of fighting that killed more than 2,200 people, the vast majority Palestinians. The cease-fire was to take effect at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), but violence persisted until the last minute.
    Israel and Hamas announced Tuesday that they agreed to an open-ended cease-fire in the Gaza war after seven weeks of fighting that killed more than 2,200 people, the vast majority Palestinians. The cease-fire was to take effect at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), but violence persisted until the last minute.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices