Team to probe event at New Mexico nuclear site - Los Angeles Local News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Team to probe event at New Mexico nuclear site

Posted: Updated:

CARLSBAD, N.M. (AP) -- The U.S. Department of Energy has appointed a team to investigate the detection of radiation in and near a southeastern New Mexico facility that's the nation's only underground nuclear waste repository in operation.

The assessment of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant will be conducted by an accident investigation board consisting of department officials and representatives of health and safety agencies, the department said in a statement released late Wednesday.

The board will be assisted by experts in fields such as fire protection, ventilation, and mine safety, the department said.

An underground monitor at the plant near Carlsbad detected airborne radiation late Friday night, and an independent monitor center said Wednesday it found radioactive isotopes in an air sensor a half-mile from the plant.

A filter from a monitor northwest of the plant had trace amounts of americium and plutonium, said Russell Hardy, director of the Carlsbad Environmental Monitoring and Research Center, an arm of New Mexico State University.

The detected levels are highest ever detected at or around the site but also far below those deemed unsafe by the Environmental Protection Agency, Hardy said.

The department said it is developing a plan for personnel to re-enter the plant and that shipments to the plant have been suspended. However, no shipments were scheduled from Feb. 14 through March 10 because of an annual maintenance work, the department said.

The readings were detected two weeks after a truck hauling salt in an underground mine at the site caught fire, shuttering operations for a few days. Officials said that fire was in an area separate from where nuclear waste is stored.

WIPP is the nation's first and only operating deep geological nuclear repository. It takes plutonium-contaminated waste from Los Alamos National Laboratory and other defense projects, and buries it in rooms cut from underground salt beds.

The plant began operations in 1999.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Viral StoriesMore>>

  • Former Virginia Hospital Center technician charged with raping patient

    Former Virginia Hospital Center technician charged with raping patient

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 9:05 AM EDT2014-04-15 13:05:25 GMT
    A former Virginia Hospital Center technician has been arrested and charged with rape after a patient says he attacked her while she was being treated in January.
    A former Virginia Hospital Center technician has been arrested and charged with rape after a patient says he attacked her while she was being treated in January.
  • Cuba slashes more than 100,000 health care jobs

    Cuba slashes more than 100,000 health care jobs

    Tuesday, April 8 2014 9:35 AM EDT2014-04-08 13:35:59 GMT
    HAVANA (AP) -- Cuban authorities say they have eliminated more than 100,000 jobs in health care, considered one of the pillars of the 1959 revolution. The cuts come as President Raul Castro tries to streamline government as part of a broader economic reform package. The weekly labor newspaper Trabajadores said Monday that 109,000 health care positions have been cut. Two years ago, Cuba said more than 50,000 jobs in that sector had been slashed. Most of the cuts came in less-skilled positions...
    HAVANA (AP) -- Cuban authorities say they have eliminated more than 100,000 jobs in health care, considered one of the pillars of the 1959 revolution. The cuts come as President Raul Castro tries to streamline government as part of a broader economic reform package. The weekly labor newspaper Trabajadores said Monday that 109,000 health care positions have been cut. Two years ago, Cuba said more than 50,000 jobs in that sector had been slashed. Most of the cuts came in less-skilled positions...
  • Scam warning after callers claim arrest unless payment made

    Scam warning after callers claim arrest unless payment made

    Thursday, April 3 2014 7:56 AM EDT2014-04-03 11:56:45 GMT
    A warning is in from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office about a phone scam. Someone is calling unsuspecting victims, claiming to be from the Sheriff’s Office.
    A warning is in from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office about a phone scam. Someone is calling unsuspecting victims, claiming to be from the Sheriff’s Office.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices