Quinn defends record on anti-violence program - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Quinn defends record on anti-violence program

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Associated Press) -

Gov. Pat Quinn says he moved swiftly to correct problems stemming from a 2010 anti-violence program he created long before a February state auditor's report raised questions.

The Chicago Democrat says Thursday that he spotted issues with the Neighborhood Recovery Initiative in 2012 and moved to abolish the agency running it. The initiative spent $55 million in the first two years.

However, auditors questioned about 40 percent of the expenditures because of poor record keeping. Some Republicans have called for a federal investigation.

Quinn says his administration investigated and corrected problems.

The initiative was run by the now-defunct Illinois Violence Prevention Authority, which relied on recommendations from Chicago aldermen when choosing community agencies to run programs. The Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority took over the Violence Prevention Authority last year.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices