1st lawsuit filed in deadly East Harlem explosion - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

1st lawsuit filed in deadly East Harlem explosion

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) - A 46-year-old Harlem woman has filed a lawsuit against Con Edison in connection with the explosion that leveled two apartment buildings last week.

The New York Post reports that Michelle Nelson filed the civil suit on Monday, becoming the first to sue over the deadly blast.

The lawsuit says she sustained "severe and permanent injuries" when the explosion caused her to fall in her apartment more than a block away.

The suit names Con Edison and the owner of 1646 Park Ave., one of the collapsed buildings.

It says they neglected their "duty to keep ... the premises in a safe, proper and secure manner."

Con Ed says it has not seen the papers and could not comment. The owner of 1646 didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:49:46 GMT
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
  • ME: Cops' restraint of man factor in death

    ME: Cops' restraint of man factor in death

    Friday, August 29 2014 9:17 PM EDT2014-08-30 01:17:48 GMT
    The death of a drugged, emotionally disturbed man restrained by police near St. Patrick's Cathedral has been ruled a homicide. The medical examiner's office cited "physical restraint by police" Friday as a factor in Ronald Singleton's July 13 death.
    The death of a drugged, emotionally disturbed man restrained by police near St. Patrick's Cathedral has been ruled a homicide. The medical examiner's office cited "physical restraint by police" Friday as a factor in Ronald Singleton's July 13 death.
  • Labor Day dishes by Chef Jason Tilmann

    Labor Day dishes by Chef Jason Tilmann

    Friday, August 29 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:57:58 GMT
    If you're looking to beef up your Labor Day barbecue with something different, Chef Jason Tilmann, the executive chef at Strand Bistro in Midtown Manhattan, has some ideas and tips. Chef Tilmann demonstrated several dishes.
    If you're looking to beef up your Labor Day barbecue with something different, Chef Jason Tilmann, the executive chef at Strand Bistro in Midtown Manhattan, has some ideas and tips. Chef Tilmann demonstrated several dishes.
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices