While American Idol had Nicki Minaj, and daytime talk has Queen Latifah, the kid rap world has Lela Brown! Get your autograph now because eleven year old Lela Brown is rapping her way to stardom! Her new music video debuts next week on BET and MTV with actor Derek Luke playing her father. I love this little dynamo and am sure you will too!
MEETING MISS LELA BROWN
I met little Miss Lela at a charity benefit. She patiently waited for other acts to perform leaving her to take the stage late in the night. When she was on, she WAS ON! Rapper Nxus and I looked at each other in awe. Lela hit her kid lyrics hard, moved like a pro, and was cute-as-can-be sporting her adorable light-brown curly fro. I fell in love, not only with her confident act, but her engaging personality and the supportive mom by her side. I had the chance to intro her at The Taste of Soul and my line was "are you SURE you're only eleven!"
Lela was "discovered" at seven years old. She says "A well known producer thought I had swag and he put me on the mic and the rest is history." http://smartboyentertainment.com
MENTORS WHO MATTER
On the fame front, the young sensation is being groomed by music legend Quincy Jones and rap royalty's MC Lyte. Quincy has her in his young peeps entourage. He's on a mission to save the music industry and offering opportunities for top kid talent. At a NAMM conference Lela rocked the mic rapping the names of every U.S. President. A Quincy backed project matches rap with education. He told her "I was the one to do the project with!"
YOYO, of Ice Cube fame, too is a mentor and Lela is a Hip Hop Sister in MC Lyte's non profit.
This young rap sensation also travels with the P.A.C.E. Show going to schools, performing, and talking about bullying.
I asked her, is rap largely a "boys" world? Her response, girls can do anything boys can do :)! America's Got Talent called her act "The Next Big Thing."
She leaves us with a favorite lyric:
"I am just sayin' the pressure could be intense but the pressure makes diamonds and to me that makes sense." Lela Brown
WHERE TO SEE LELA BROWN:
April 15th -
BET 106&Park and MTV. Debuting new single/music video "Falling In Love Again" Featuring Torion Sellers from Cash Money.
April 18th -
The Bunny Hop Easter Holiday Bash with The WONDERBROZ and MYLESBIGDEAL (Mindless Behavior's DJ).
Beyond The Stars Palace
417 N. Brand Blvd.
Fox 11's ELEVEN questions w/Lela:
1. American Idol or Glee? Glee
2. Morning person or night person? Is it easier for you to get up for school or stay up late doing homework? Night person!
3. Television or the internet? Internet I am so into VINES right now
4. Facebook or Instagram? Instagram
5. Pinks Hotdogs or Pinkberry? I have never been to Pinks Hotdogs but I would love to go one day, so I would have to say Pinkberry
6. Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles or In and Out Burger? That is hard I like both, but Roscoes Chicken and Waffles!
7. So You Think You Can Dance or Dancing With The Stars? Dancing with The Stars
8. The Lakers, Dodgers, or Clippers? The Clippers because I did a commercial with Blake Griffin
9. Shopping or sleeping? Shopping!!
10. A best friend or a bunch of buddies? Bunch of buddies
11. The Grammys, MTV awards, or Kids Choice Awards? The Grammy's. I will win a Grammy one day.