Independence Day fireworks come with big show, big dangers - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Independence Day fireworks come with big show, big dangers

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA, Ga. -

Each Independence Day, about 7,000 Americans end up in the emergency room with firework-related injuries.

Memorial Hospital Burn Unit Director Dr. Walter Ingram sees it every year at this time. People start lighting fireworks, and the burn patients start coming in. Dr. Ingram says, “Every Fourth of July, you get about ten or twelve calls at night, people or children getting hurt."

14-year old Lauren Davis was burned in an Easter kitchen accident. Dr. Ingram says, unlike her second and third-degree burns, most firework burns aren't usually severe, but they can cause both hand and facial injuries.

Dr. Ingram says, “Sparklers can cause a deep burn, but it's usually small. Sparklers are a magnesium fire. Very hot. Very hard to put out. Can cause a very deep burn. But it's usually small." Small, and sometimes, pretty painful. Ingram says, “They're usually not life-threatening. You've got to make sure you keep them (fireworks) far away from your eyes, because they can be eye-threatening."

And kids - especially teens and tweens – can take big risks. He says, “Children sometimes take their fireworks and put a bunch of them together. Put some shrapnel around it like a little bomb! They do things like this! We see it!”

He says, “Teach them basic respect for the fire. Some of the children, teenagers, have this idea their indestructible. And they're not.”

Some safety tips:

  • Never let children near fireworks
  • Have a garden hose or bucket of water nearby.
  • Light only one firework at a time
  • Never re-light a "dud" firework.

If someone gets burned, Ingram says make sure you get them away from the fire or danger, to keep things from getting worse.

He says, “Then use tap water, cool water, not ice! Ice is too cold, use cool water."

If the burn is small, treat it with a topical antibiotic, and if you don't have that, use honey. Dr. Ingram says forget about home remedies like putting butter on a burn. He says, “You don't want to put anything on a burn that spoils in the open. So, things like butter or mayonnaise, that stuff spoils. When it spoils, bacteria grows in it, that's the whole point. That will cause the burn to be infected.”

Sparklers and non-exploding fireworks like Roman candles are legal in Georgia. To enjoy fireworks without ending up in the ER, Dr. Ingram says leave the show to the professionals.

  • Good Day ArchiveMore>>

  • Back to School Jamboree with Hosea Feed The Hungry

    Back to School Jamboree with Hosea Feed The Hungry

    Hosea Feed the Hungry will host their annual Back to School Jamboree on Sunday, July 13, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at Turner Field. Children will receive a backpack filled with school supplies.

    Hosea Feed the Hungry will host their annual Back to School Jamboree on Sunday, July 13, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at Turner Field. Children will receive a backpack filled with school supplies.

  • FOX Medical Team

    Is it safe to kiss your pet?

    Is it safe to kiss your pet?

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-07-29 12:24:46 GMT
    If you’re a pet owner, you’ve probably been there. You lean down to say hello and, before you know it, your dog has planted a big wet one right on your mouth.But a UGA Vet says that “kiss” may come with a downside.
    If you’re a pet owner, you’ve probably been there. You lean down to say hello and, before you know it, your dog has planted a big wet one right on your mouth.But a UGA Vet says that “kiss” may come with a downside.
  • Good Day Atlanta

    Will they melt? Good Day tests Walmart ice cream sandwiches

    Will they melt? Good Day tests Walmart ice cream sandwiches

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:30 AM EDT2014-07-29 11:30:09 GMT
    A summertime treat makes headlines for its reported unusual longevity. A mom in Cincinnati, Ohio told WCPO-TV that she left her son's Walmart ice cream sandwich outside overnight- and it never fully melted!
    A summertime treat makes headlines for its reported unusual longevity. A mom in Cincinnati, Ohio told WCPO-TV that she left her son's Walmart ice cream sandwich outside overnight- and it never fully melted!
Powered by WorldNow

KTTV FOX 11
1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices