Could The Stow Family Go Home Without A Penny? - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV

Could The Stow Family Go Home Without A Penny?

Posted: Updated:
Update from Christina Gonzalez:

Earlier today, when we filed for the Fox 11 website, we told you the scene was tense.

Just about everyone in the L.A. Superior Courtroom thought it would be over today, one way or another. Jurors in the trial of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow’s negligence lawsuit against former Dodger owner Frank McCourt had declared themselves hopelessly deadlocked.

But they are still at it!

They deliberated today, all day. No more questions, no more notes. Every time the buzzer rang, everyone waiting for their decision would jump up, expecting something and hoping for anything.

The jurors, leaving through a different door than usual, did go for lunch and took a  couple of breaks. Then, they went home, agreeing to come back after the 4th of July Holiday.

Superior Judge Victor Chavez did call attorneys into chambers several times to discuss the impasse. Both sides spent hours going over jury instructions, trying to answer questions from yesterday dealing with the relationship between Mc Court and the company he used when he owned the team, Los Angeles Dodgers LLC. The defense looked much happier than the plaintiffs or their attorneys. By the end of the day, everyone just looked tired.

The lawsuit stems from the beating Stow suffered during the opening game at Dodger stadium in the 2011 season. Rialto residents Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood pled guilty earlier this year to carrying out the attack that left Stowe severely brain damaged, and unable to care for himself on his own. His attorneys are asking for $33 million to handle his care, and more in punitive damages.

McCourt’s attorneys claim that their client is not responsible, that the two men who beat him are. The present Dodger organization is not involved in this lawsuit.

The judge has issued a gag order, so there was little attorneys could say at the end of the day. The Stow’s did share they were going home to be with Bryan for the Holiday.

Everyone expected to be back Monday at 9am.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jurors have gone home for the day after a judge told the deadlocked panel to keep deliberating in a negligence lawsuit filed by a San Francisco Giants fan over a severe beating at Dodger Stadium.

The panel deliberated for about another hour Wednesday after telling the judge they were deadlocked.

They will return to court on Thursday in the case filed by Bryan Stow against the Dodgers and former owner Frank McCourt.

Deliberations began on June 26.

Stow suffered brain damage when he was attacked in a stadium parking lot after the 2011 opening day game. Two Dodger fans pleaded guilty to criminal charges and remain in jail.

Lawyers for Stow say the Dodgers didn't have enough security.

The defense says there was more security than ever at an opening day contest, and Stow was partly responsible because he was drunk.

Powered by WorldNow

1999 S. Bundy Dr.
Los Angeles CA 90025

Main: (310) 584-2000
News Tips? (310) 584-2025

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices